If there’s any year you can go it, this is the year! You just have to understand that sustained weight loss doesn’t come through some magic pill, shake or machine.
For most people, weight loss is simple primary school level mathematics. Calories in versus calories out. Think of it like a points-based game…because when it comes to measuring calories, it really is! How are you going to win while still feeling good and making sure you ingest the right kind of points.
Just make sure it feels good.
And if it doesn’t, it’s always smart to talk to a doctor, nutritionist or dietitian to create a custom plan for you. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I can help!
- Drink more water. Water is your best friend! Hunger is usually mistaken for thirst. That’s because humans can only go a few days without water, whereas you can go weeks without food. That’s who important water is for your body. Stay hydrated in 2017!
- Make it a habit to make dinner light.
- Sweat it out with some HIIT cardio at least 3x a week. When clients ask me how many steps they should take, I always say the best way to measure if you’ve done a good workout is how wet your t-shirt is.
- Cut out soda! It’s 2017. You’re educated. You know it’s poison! From one friend to another, let me give you some dietary tough love: I have no tolerance for soda. Soda is the number one liquid contributor to the obesity epidemic in the United States. If you’re trying to lose weight, soda does the opposite. Soda makes you fat!
- Sleep more! Sleep is magic. Scientists have found that people who don’t get enough sleep consume more calories on average and have higher levels of hunger hormones.
- Eat more veggies and fruits that are in season. Check out my green juice recipe if you need an easy and fast way to get greens in your diet.
- Surround yourself with people who support that you like to eat healthy and exercise. Your friends that overindulge in food, cocktails and general partying are fun, but not great weight loss role models. People who think it’s not cool to eat healthy need to be less frequently around you. I’m sorry when did diabetes, cancer, and heart disease become cool? All major chronic diseases have been linked to nutrition.
- Cultivate happiness! Meditate, dance and do what you love. You’re less likely to overeat, plus happiness deceases stress-created hormones like cortisol.
- Make sure you’re eating enough of the right kinds of protein to sustain lean muscle mass, which is the greatest predictor of staying young and slim. Need some ideas on how to get protein into your diet? Read my blog article about it here!
- Don’t deprive yourself. You’ll never break through those food blocks if you don’t give yourself a sweet treat or two. I have a ton of healthy ones on my blog that taste better than their sugar-filled counterparts.
The hard part is not losing weight it’s keeping it off – understand you are not a machine, you’re a human being with many factors that affect you. People who make sustainable changes rather than drastic ones are the ones who eventually change their mindset to a love a healthy lifestyle. How can you not? You feel good, so you happily keep it off and stay in shape. Have you found your own weight loss tips and tricks, or have any questions? Let me know in the comments!
What do you think? Tell me in the comments or on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and tag @thefaraheffect.