When life gives you lemons, you make vegan lemon bars so chart-topping even Beyonce would approve. Coconut cream balances out fresh lemon zest. Gluten-free oats make these a perfect party favor everyone can enjoy. These tart treats are a refreshing alternative to all-chocolate-everything, plus their sunny yellow shade is like a color/dessert therapy combo.
Hey, good lookin’! What healthy things are you cookin’ up? Salads, smoothies or superfood stir-frys…I’m already hungry thinking about it! Inspire me in the comments or on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and tag @thefaraheffect.
Queen Bey Vegan Lemon Bars
|Recipe Type: Lemon Bars||Total Time: 25 minutes|
|Prep Time: 10 minutes||Serves: 20|
2 cups of coconut cream
3 tsp. of lemon zest
¼ cup of fresh lemon juice
1-2 tbsp. of agave
90g of gluten free oats
112g of almonds
24g of coconut sugar
15ml of maple syrup
60-75ml of coconut oil, melted
- To prepare the base, preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8 inches x 8 inches baking dish with parchment paper.
- Put oats, almonds, and coconut sugar into a food processor and process until a fine meal is achieved. Transfer to a mixing bowl and add maple syrup, melted coconut oil then stir with a spoon.
- Transfer mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Using the back of a spoon, press down firmly until it is evenly distributed and well packed.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- Place all of the ingredients for the filling in a high-speed blender and mix on high until smooth.
- Pour the filling over the pre-baked and cooled crust and spread into an even layer. Tap to remove any air bubbles.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour until it is firm enough to slice.
Garnish with chopped toasted pistachio nutsPrint Recipe
Recipe by: Farah Fahad RD & Chef Candice Miller
Photography by: Niki Csanyi